Okay so I recently started having some weird problems with my MBP - I bought it brand new in Oct 2009 haven't had ANY issues until a couple months ago.
The only thing I've done is put in an SSD boot drive, replace the SuperDrive with an OWC 'Data Doubler' and a 500GB HDD, at the same time I damaged the original SATA cable so I ordered a replacement from iFixit, installed it with no issues. Most of this stuff started happening around that time, although to me it doesn't seem like that would cause these symptoms.
I'll just do a simple bullet list.
- SD slot treats every card as READ only.
- Can no longer boot from DVD - either internal (I reconnected it to test) or external. Noticed this while trying to install Windows 7 on bootcamp partition. Can still read and write discs though, and still boots from external USB HDD.
- USB ports intermittently 'cut out' causing external HDD's to sometimes eject at random. Very annoying and scary considering I work with photos, not sure if it's a loose connection or what.
- battery had some issues a while back, got the 'service battery' warning, went away after a few charge/discharge cycles. Seems OK now with 5650ish mAh (Original is 6500 mAh) Still lasts 5-6 hours. Battery "Health" bounces between 85-88%.
- 'Sleep' and 'hibernate' have been doing strange things as well - (Been doing THAT for a long time, a year or so) Will post on that later, still trying to sort it out.
-And last but not least, this evening i shut the lid to put it to sleep, the battery was pretty low, probably 10-15%. Came back later to open it up and it had shut off completely. Started it up and the date and time had reverted back to Dec 31 2000. Firs time THAT'S happened.
There's probably a few things that Im forgetting, but that's the majority of them.
Ideas? Trip to the Genius Bar?
MacBook Pro (mid 2009) • 2.66Ghz • 40GB Intel SSD + 500GB HDD (in place of DVD drive) • 8GB RAM • 10.6.8 • Springfield XD9 Tactical • Black Coffee • Long Walks on the Beach •